I was born in 1991 in Dolo (Venice, Italy). I received both my bachelor and master degree in Physics at the University of Padova (bachelor thesis: "Supersymmetry in Quantum Mechanics", supervisor: prof. Gianguido Dall'Agata, September 2013; master thesis: "Space Quantum Communication using time-bin qubit", supervisor: prof. Paolo Villoresi, September 2015).
From October 2015 to October 2018 I was a PhD student in "Space Science and Technology" at CISAS, University of Padova, where I work on Space quantum communications and entanglement generation. I got my PhD in March 2019.
My PhD project "Quantum Optics Experiments in Space" aimed at studying the feasibility of different experiments involving Quantum Optics in Space with multiple purposes and applications. For example, one can think to fundamental tests combining Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity in Space, but one can also use Quantum Information to realize a global network for secure communications by exploiting satellites exchanging photons with ground stations.
From November 2018 to December 2019 I was a Research Fellow at DEI, funded by the "Q-SecGroundSpace - Intermodal Secure Quantum Communication on Ground and Space" project in collaboration with the Italian Space Agency.
I won a two-year Research Fellow position funded by DEI and starting in January 2020 with the project "GaliQEye (Galileo's Quantum Eye at DEI)", aimed at using a 40-cm class telescope placed on the roof of our Department for quantum communication applications.
I am currently involved in the experimental activities related to satellite quantum communication and fiber-based and free-space QKD, as well as in theoretical studies on large-scale optical interferometry.
Selected publications and pre-prints.
Space Quantum Communication:
- G. Vallone, D. Dequal, M. Tomasin, F. Vedovato, M. Schiavon, V. Luceri, G. Bianco, and P. Villoresi, Interference at the Single Photon Level Along Satellite-Ground Channels, Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 253601 (2016), https://doi.org/10.1103/ PhysRevLett.116.253601
- C. Agnesi, F. Vedovato, M. Schiavon, D. Dequal, L. Calderaro, M. Tomasin, D. G. Marangon, A. Stanco, V. Luceri, G. Bianco, G. Vallone, and P. Villoresi, Exploring the boundaries of quantum mechanics: advances in satellite quantum communications, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 376, 20170461 (2018), https: //doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2017.0461
- L. Calderaro, C. Agnesi, D. Dequal, F. Vedovato, M. Schiavon, A. Santamato, V. Luceri, G. Bianco, G. Vallone, and P. Villoresi, Towards quantum communication from global navigation satellite system, Quantum Sci. Technol. 4, 015012 (2019), https://doi.org/10.1088/2058-9565/aaefd4
Quantum Optics and Fundamental Tests of Quantum Mechanics:
- F. Vedovato, C. Agnesi, M. Schiavon, D. Dequal, L. Calderaro, M. Tomasin, D. G. Marangon, A. Stanco, V. Luceri, G. Bianco, G. Vallone, and P. Villoresi, Extending Wheeler’s delayed-choice experiment to space, Sci. Adv. 3, e1701180 (2017), https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.1701180
- F. Vedovato, C. Agnesi, M. Tomasin, M. Avesani, J. -Å. Larsson, G. Vallone, and P. Villoresi, Postselection-Loophole-Free Bell Violation with Genuine Time-Bin Entanglement, Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 190401 (2018), https://doi.org/10.1103/ PhysRevLett.121.190401
Quantum Key Distribution (QKD):
- M. Avesani, L. Calderaro, M. Schiavon, A. Stanco, C. Agnesi, A. Santamato, M. Zahidy, A. Scriminich, G. Foletto, G. Contestabile, M. Chiesa, D. Rotta, M. Artiglia, A. Montanaro, M. Romagnoli, V. Sorianello, F. Vedovato, G. Vallone, P. Villoresi, Full daylight quantum-key-distribution at 1550 nm enabled by integrated silicon photonics, arXiv:1907.10039 (2019), https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.10039
- C. Agnesi, M. Avesani, L. Calderaro, A. Stanco, G. Foletto, M. Zahidy, A. Scri- minich, F. Vedovato, G. Vallone, P. Villoresi, Simple Quantum Key Distribution with qubit-based synchronization and a self-compensating polarization encoder, arXiv:1909.12703 (2019), https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.12703
Large-scale Optical Interferometry:
- D. R. Terno, F. Vedovato, M Schiavon, A. R. H. Smith, P. Magnani, G. Vallone, P. Villoresi, Proposal for an Optical Test of the Einstein Equivalence Principle, arXiv:1811.04835 (2018), https://arxiv.org/abs/1811.04835
- D. R. Terno, G. Vallone, F. Vedovato, P. Villoresi, Large-scale optical interferometry in general spacetimes, arXiv:1911.05156 (2019), https://arxiv.org/abs/1911. 05156
Participation at conferences and workshops:
- Relativistic Quantum Information North Conference 2016, Waterloo, Canada; title: “Quantum Interference Along Satellite-Ground Channels”
- 2nd International Conference for Young Quantum Informa- tion Scientists, Barcelona, Spain; title: “Satellite Quantum Communications: experimental results and implications”
- 11th Italian Quantum Information Science Conference 2018, Catania, Italy; title: “Testing Quantum Mechanics with Satellite Quantum Com- munications”
- 9th International Conference on Quantum Cryptography, Mon- treal, Canada; title: “QCoSOne: A chip-based prototype for daylight free-space QKD at telecom wavelength for future satellite optical payloads”
Email: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org